Saturday, September 18, 2010

No more furry caterpillars!!!

 Just to give you a little background...Back home in San Francisco, I used to get my eyebrows waxed every 2-3 weeks by Ivory at Benefit Brow Bar in Union Square.  Before I left, she asked me, "what the are you going to do about your eyebrows in Korea? Do they even do that?" I told her that she should come in my suitcase cuz I didn't want to risk it...

So I got to Korea...a couple weeks passed and my eyebrows became instant furry catepillars!  My friends and I were walking around Banwaldong Station (downtown Daegu) and passed by a little shop with random pictures of different eyebrows, I thought EUREKA! I have found the spot!  It was closed at the time, but we decided we'd go back another day.  A week passed...I was starting to complain about my eyebrows, so my friends and I decided we'd go back to the spot!

We arrive at the spot...I say, "waxing?" She says nothing. My friends point at the picture of the eyebrow shape I want and she appears to understand...We follow her into her work area and she proceeds to put white liquidy stuff on my eyebrows...I instantly go numb...(in the back of my mind, I think oh dear god she's bleaching my eyebrows and they're going to be ORANGE) All my friends start laughing! *the picture* I keep my composure and start to ask, "what is this stuff?" She says nothing. Then she asks some other lady in the work area to say something in English, we get the response: "numbing." So my friends say, "oh ok, its so it won't hurt." I am starting to sweat a little. Then she says, "20 min..." At that point, I was like whatever! So we're just chatting amongst each other, and she comes up to me holding her hand out and points at two little squirts of brown stuff that looks like PAINT! I quickly respond, "um....no..." At this point my friends are in shear panic mode and/or saying they'd draw my eyebrows on with a Sharpie. I call my co-teacher from my friends' phone and she talks to the lady. The lady hands me back the phone and I find out I was about to get temporary tattooed eyebrows. WTF! I wipe off whatever the hell was on my eyebrows and we get rushed out of the shop (cuz we made a scene?).  Needless to say, I was a little traumatized and my eyebrows were still furry caterpillars...


During this past week, my friend, Alexandra, called me and told me she was out with her co-teacher at Lotte department store and saw a Benefit Brow Bar! OMG I DIED...made my whole week! So, today we went to the brow bar! "SUCCESS!" I told the lady at Benefit that I'd be there every 3 weeks...she didn't understand, but at least she understands WAXING!


Thanks goes out to Alexandra, Sheila, & Laura for making this possible! 

4 comments:

  1. You should get them threaded instead. It's much better in maintaining the shape of your eyebrows, and over time, less and less hair comes back...I'm pretty sure its an Asian technique, so make sure you ask for threading. I've never had mine waxed, but FYI, threading may be more painful...Take it, Champ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats pretty funny!! I was looking thru your new pics and now I understand the face, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good thing you knew someone who could translate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven, where did you get yours threaded? I live in Gwangju and miss threading

    ReplyDelete