Wednesday, October 6, 2010

24 years ago...I was born...

24 years ago...I was born...in Korea...in Seoul.  Today is my birthday!  In Korean years, I'd be 25...definitely not ready for that number yet.  Having moved from California to Korea, the whole 16 hour time difference has caused some confusion amongst my friends and family.  For example, my friend messaged me: "happy early birthday"  Instead of arguing, I just reply, "I live in the future."

Today, I came to school thinking my birthday would go unannounced (plus more than half the school is gone on a camping trip)...right after lunch, my co-teacher asked me to go to the women's "rest" room (its literally a room where the women teachers can rest and nap) to discuss something.  I thought I was getting in trouble for g-chatting all day, but NO! All the English teachers plus 1 math teacher (I sit next to her) surprised me with a cake (had a couple random tomatoes on it), roses (below) and sang happy birthday to me...in English! They are so generous!  I got other random gifts, like apple jam, cards, food, etc. from different teachers.  I am very appreciative and grateful to my school...I lucked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment