Thursday, October 28, 2010

Today's Lunch Menu: Stinky feet soup...

Today I didn't eat breakfast because I woke up late...the teachers at my school (assumed I ate breakfast) gave me: rice cake, sweet potato, pear, and warm bread ALL before lunch!  One of the teachers told me that Koreans have 2 stomachs: 1 for meals and 1 for snacks. 

The clock struck 12pm...lunchtime!!! We walked into the teachers' lunch room...it smelled like stinky feet...I was like "Um...what are we having for lunch?" They told me: "traditioanl soy bean soup."  It was really hard to enjoy my meal because the whole room smelled like a boy's locker room...and on top of that...I had a bowl of it sitting in front of my face...The teachers told me, "Tastes better than it smells."  I tried a spoonful and concluded that the teachers' statement is not necessarily a true statement.


After we left the lunch room, I asked one of my co-teachers: "why does it smell like that?" She said: "Its because of the soybeans."  I was like "Soybeans normally don't smell like that..." She replied: "Its like aged cheese." I googled it...its called cheonggukjang...FERMENTED SOYBEANS. 

I need to brush my teeth a few times...

No comments:

Post a Comment